Executives at Lowe’s Home Improvement stores may be forced to re-evaluate their safety policies after a jury awarded a victim who was injured at one of their locations a multi-million dollar verdict.
Kelly Henrickson, a 41 year-old mother of three, was shopping at a Lowe’s store in Las Vegas when she received the injury. Hendrickson was in the store’s garden center looking at palm trees in July 2013 when she fell on a “slimy, wet substance.” The substance was leaking from the bottoms of several planters in the area.
Employees had placed a yellow, three foot tall cone in the vicinity, but Hendrickson argued that it was obscured from plain view, which is why she did not see it until she was already falling.
Hendrickson hit her head on the concrete floor in the accident, fracturing her skull and injuring her neck. Brain damage has caused her to permanently lose the abilities to taste and smell. Moreover, she suffers from chronic headaches and experiences difficulties with balance. Hendrickson has also received medical treatment for depression and anxiety. Her dream of becoming a school bus driver has fallen by the wayside.
Hendrickson filed a personal injury lawsuit against the store in an effort to receive compensation for her medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. Attorneys for Hendrickson also sought punitive damages, citing an ongoing record of falls at Lowe’s stores throughout the Las Vegas vicinity in the last five years.
A jury awarded Hendrickson approximately $13 million as a result of the litigation. This falls short of the amount that the plaintiff and her attorneys were seeking because the jury chose not to award punitive damages. They decided that the retailer was 80 percent responsible for the accident while Hendrickson was responsible for the remaining 20 percent.
Plaintiff’s lawyer Sean Claggett said that Lowe’s is “still not getting it right because they don’t care about it.” Nonetheless, Hendrickson’s attorneys count this decision as a victory, and they expressed their hope that Lowe’s might change their safety policies and practices in the wake of the verdict.